The site that is now Corsicana Municipal Airport, C. David Campbell Field began as a United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) primary training field. The field was constructed in 1940 and operated as Air Activities of Texas, a civilian owned and managed facility. After training thousands of army pilots for World War II (WWII). As WWII was winding down, the field closed in October 1944 and became a storage depot for a short time. For more information and photos of the history of Corsicana Army Air Field, visit the Corsicana Field Aviation Heritage Foundation website.
In 1946, the facility was turned over to the City of Corsicana and became the Corsicana Municipal Airport. The buildings were used for veteran housing and later became the first campus of Navarro Junior College. Some of the buildings were relocated to the current Navarro College location.
The airport has seen many renovations over the years, and today serves local businesses such as Collin Street Bakery, Atwoods, Russell Stover Candies, McCoys', and many private and government agencies. With a 5,000-foot asphalt lighted runway and an unlit 3,200-foot turf runway, Corsicana Municipal Airport attracts business and corporate jet and helicopter traffic as well as small general aviation aircraft.
The Coyote Squadron of the Commemorative Air Force is located in the N.H. "Tucker" Hardgrave Memorial Hangar. The unit meets the second Saturday of each month, at 10:30 a.m. Meetings are open to the public. The squadron maintains and operates a Fairchild PT-19 aircraft. The squadron sponsors an annual air show, the second Saturday in May.
United States Army Air Force Cadet Memorial Park
Dedicated on Oct. 10, 2009, the 5-acre memorial park was constructed to honor all Army Air Force (AFF) cadets of WWII. Consisting of three patios spaced across the width of the 5-acres, includes a life sized bronze statue of an aviation cadet, a triad monument with plaques memorializing the AAF casualties of WWII, and the men that perished in training here at Corsicana Army Air Field and descriptive plaques depicting the men and women that operated the field.