Workforce Training Incentives
Local Workforce Training Resources
There are a number of workforce training incentives offered by the City of Corsicana and the State of Texas. Among them are:
- Corsicana Workforce Center (Workforce Solutions)
- Navarro College
- Corsicana Independent School District Career & Technology Program
State of Texas Workforce Training Incentives Programs
- Skills Development Fund. A business, consortium of businesses, or trade union identifies a training need, and then partners with a public Community or Technical college to fill its specific needs. Businesses work with college partners to submit proposals, develop curricula and conduct training. The Skills Development Fund pays for the training, the college administers the grant, and businesses create new jobs and improve the skills of their current workers.
- Self-Sufficiency Fund Program. The Self-Sufficiency Fund program assists businesses and trade unions by financing the development and implementation of customized job-training projects for new and current workers.
- Apprenticeship Program. Apprenticeship is a combination of on-the-job training and related classroom instruction in which workers learn the practical and theoretical aspects of a highly-skilled occupation. Apprenticeship programs are sponsored by joint employer and labor groups, individual employers, or employer associations. The purpose is to stimulate and assist industry in developing and improving apprenticeship and other training programs designed to provide the skilled workers needed to compete in a global economy.
- Work Opportunity Tax Credit. The WOTC is a federal income tax benefit administered by the U.S. Department of Labor for employers who hire individuals from specified target populations. WOTC reduces a business’s federal tax liability, serving as an incentive to select job candidates who may be disadvantaged in their efforts to find employment. The main objective of this program is to enable individuals to become employed, earn a steady income and become contributing taxpayers.