Workforce Training Programs
There are a number of workforce training programs offered in Corsicana and Navarro County to assist both employers and employees. The primary training centers are operated by Navarro College and the Corsicana Independent School District, as well as numerous programs offered through the Texas Workforce Board at the Corsicana Workforce Center.
Texas Workforce Board
The following is a list of Texas workforce training incentives programs available through the Corsicana Workforce Center:
- Skills Development Fund. A business, consortium of businesses, or trade union identifies a training need, and then partners with a public Community or Technical college to fill its specific needs. Businesses work with college partners to submit proposals, develop curricula and conduct training. The Skills Development Fund pays for the training, the college administers the grant, and businesses create new jobs and improve the skills of their current workers.
- Self-Sufficiency Fund Program. The Self-Sufficiency Fund program assists businesses and trade unions by financing the development and implementation of customized job-training projects for new and current workers.
- Apprenticeship Program. Apprenticeship is a combination of on-the-job training and related classroom instruction in which workers learn the practical and theoretical aspects of a highly-skilled occupation. Apprenticeship programs are sponsored by joint employer and labor groups, individual employers, or employer associations. The purpose is to stimulate and assist industry in developing and improving apprenticeship and other training programs designed to provide the skilled workers needed to compete in a global economy.
In addition to these statewide programs, the following federal program is available through the Workforce Center:
- Work Opportunity Tax Credit. The WOTC is a federal income tax benefit administered by the U.S. Department of Labor for employers who hire individuals from specified target populations. WOTC reduces a business’s federal tax liability, serving as an incentive to select job candidates who may be disadvantaged in their efforts to find employment. The main objective of this program is to enable individuals to become employed, earn a steady income and become contributing taxpayers.
Navarro College Career & Technical Education Programs
Navarro College, one of 52 community colleges in the state of Texas, is located in Corsicana. In addition to traditional academic programs, the college offers a wide variety of career and technical education programs:
- Business Information Technology.
- Computer Information Technology.
- Criminal Justice.
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT Basic).
- Environmental Science.
- Fire Academy.
- Industrial Technology. Graduates will perform routine preventative maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair on equipment and components in an industrial plant environment.
- John Deere Tech/Agriculture Mechanization. The Navarro College John Deere TECH Program is designed to help upgrade the skill level of new John Deere service technicians and help prepare them for a career opportunity in a field with excellent employment opportunities. The goal is to help provide the student with the experience in hydraulics, electrical engines, power trains, air conditioning, machine setup and adjustment, and the computer-assisted resource material used in the entire John Deere service network.
- Multimedia Technology.
- Petroleum Technology. The Petroleum Production Technology Certificate will help prepare students for careers in the petroleum industry, where they will perform the duties of lease operators, natural gas plant operators, compressor station operators, and instrumentation technicians and function as a member of an oil and/or gas production team.
- Welding. The Program includes classroom instruction and hands-on-training in metal trades including safety, blueprint reading, metallurgy, power sources, tools and materials, welding and layout, and fitting techniques.
- Architecture & Construction Technology
- Arts, AV Technology, & Communications
- Business & Finance
- Family & Consumer Science/Culinary Arts
- Family & Consumer Science/Education & Training
- Family & Consumer Science/Human Services
- Health Science
- Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security
- Information Technology
- Transportation, Distribution & Logistics